HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Art & Sketches

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
horsefeathers

Total Posts : 1137
Female
Libra Goat

PostSubject: Art & Sketches   15th July 2007, 7:56 pm

I thought I'd share a few drawings from my sketchbook, both new and old. Smile
This time round, my myth ones. I absolutely adore Greek mythoology, and from time to time, I set out to potray my favourite characters and stories ... these bursts of inspiration never usually get past the first sketch, though. Wink

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Pallas Athena, goddess of wisdom, war and the domestic arts and the patron goddess of the city of Athens. I doodled this last night, although it was originally going to be Athena, Aphrodite and Hera during the Judgement of Paris, but I screwed up badly, and so ... just Athena. Smile

Persephone, Queen of the Underworld and daughter of Demeter, the goddess of the harvest. She spends half the year in the Underworld with Hades and half the year with her mother, and thus, the seasons of winter and summer.
This is still a work-in-progress, although I guiltily admit that it will likely never get finished. Rolling Eyes

Eros, the god of love and sexual desire. His Roman counterpart is Cupid.
This is old, but I'm (surprisingly) still pleased with it. I am incredibly disappointed with the scan quality ... my scanner just refuses to pick up pencil. All the shading is really smooth in real life. Just pretend, okay? Razz

A sketch of Odysseus, the king of Ithaca and one of the Greek warriors in the Trojan War.
This was a bit of a work-in-progress, and was meant to be a full-blown masterpiece, until I kinda lost interest ... I still like it, though.

Odysseus and Penelope, before the Trojan War.
Old. And I don't like my failed attempt at drawing the human figure. They are very badly proportioned. Despite that thoough, I kinda like it. Just a little.

In Greek mythology, gryphons were creatures that belonged to Zeus.

God, forgive me for how long-winded I can be! Wink
Anyway, I hope you like these and maybe I might post more in the future (of horses or my collages or something I'm better at doing Smile ).
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefeathers75.deviantart.com
wpghi5
Moderator-Sakis' Team

Total Posts : 16618
Male
Aries Dog

PostSubject: Re: Art & Sketches   15th July 2007, 8:38 pm

I don't think those drawings r that bad Jenna. They actually look pretty good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Malin

Total Posts : 3058
Female
Capricorn Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Art & Sketches   16th July 2007, 1:18 am

wpghi5 wrote:
I don't think those drawings r that bad Jenna. They actually look pretty good.

C'mon Jessie, is "pretty good" all you can say to this?!? These are absolutely amazing, Jenna!!!!!!!!! cheers

I don't know if you made a mistake when you entered your birthdate when you registered for the forum, because I can simply not believe that someone as young as you would be able to draw/paint anything remotely this good! scratch Laughing

Jenna, you are a pro!!!!!

My recently listened tracks:
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/malintwin
Moldienut
Angel's helper of Sakis' Forum

Total Posts : 19567
Female
Virgo Cat

PostSubject: Re: Art & Sketches   16th July 2007, 1:57 am

Jenna, they are ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT and there is information I have never even knew about as well.
I agree with Mal, you ARE a pro after all.
Better than me. Laughing

maria

Total Posts : 1289
Female
Pisces Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Art & Sketches   16th July 2007, 2:10 am

ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!YOU ARE AN ARTIST JENNA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mpempamaria.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?_c02_owner=1
horsefeathers

Female
Libra Goat

PostSubject: Re: Art & Sketches   16th July 2007, 12:12 pm

Very Happy I'm thrilled! Thanks so much, everyone!

Malin: No mistakes, I am 15. Smile Art is something I'm really passionate about. And I've been blessed to have access to quality supplies, good teachers, and an envorinment in which I can improve at a good pace. That, and I can't remember a time when I didn't like to draw or paint - I've been at it all my life. Smile

Moldie: Hush, hush! I love the portraits that you've posted here. I can't draw a decent portrait for the life of me.
And, yeah, I'm a bit of a walking encyclopedia when it comes to classical myths and history. Razz

And, a few more ... of subjects that I'm better at. Razz

This was going to be another drawing of Eros, but I never did anything more with it.
I'm famous for my rather androgynous males. Laughing They always end up having really feminine-looking curves. This is a pretty good example, I think, of the curvacious look that I can't seem to get rid of.

Sometimes I like to have fun with my notebooks and ballpoint pens. Razz Not often, though - these take forever.
There's three Latin words doodled in there: Aeterna, Infinita and Immortalis (eternal, infinity, immortal). I don't know how readable they are, though.

This is Thyss, a unicorn character of mine. I like her story - she's a prophet who goes mad.
This is a work-in-progress - the swirl thing is supposed to be painted with orange watercolour ... but I never got around to it. Razz And the scan is pretty bad. The colours are actually really vivid, and there's a nice orange shine across her stomach and quarters that's rather lost in the picture.

Rhiannon ... she's supposed to have wings, but I got lazy, felt bad, and then drew a lot of roses to make up for it. Smile I'm very pleased with this.

Another unicorn mare, Arijad, and my first good attempt at shading with pencil crayon. Smile It's smooth and thick like paint in reality; the scan is pretty horrible (as per usual, it seems).

Arijad (from the previous picture - she's the one lying down in this drawing) and Elsewhere. They have a whole tragic love story, and this is supposed to illustrate their farewell. It's supposed to be the very last moment they see one another.
This was drawn over a year ago (last March, I think), but it's my favourite drawing of any that I've ever done. Smile
Back to top Go down
Malin

Female
Capricorn Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Art & Sketches   16th July 2007, 1:25 pm

Completely breathtaking, Jenna! If I was as gifted as you, I would do nothing but just sit and draw/paint, and enjoy the beautiful creations that appeared right before my eyes!!

So you are really 15 years old. Δεν το πιστεύω! ("Den to pistevo!", Greek for "I don't believe that!") Laughing

Please keep posting your creations. I've browsed your amazing gallery at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but it's really interesting to get your stories behind them as well. The color version of Arijad almost made me cry because it is so beautiful! flower

Back to top Go down
Moldienut

Female
Virgo Cat

PostSubject: Re: Art & Sketches   16th July 2007, 1:51 pm

I have been in there Mal, it's really good in there, like an art gallery in a way.

wpghi5
Moderator-Sakis' Team

Male
Aries Dog

PostSubject: Re: Art & Sketches   16th July 2007, 3:07 pm

ALRIGHT IT'S A MASTERPIECE! God I'm so ashamed rite now! Embarassed And since this was made a fellow Pegger I'm even EXTRA ashamed! Embarassed Please forgive me all especially u Jenna! Embarassed And believe it Mo. Pistevo!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Moldienut

Female
Virgo Cat

PostSubject: Re: Art & Sketches   16th July 2007, 3:09 pm

wpghi5 wrote:
ALRIGHT IT'S A MASTERPIECE! God I'm so ashamed rite now! Embarassed And since this was made a fellow Pegger I'm even EXTRA ashamed! Embarassed Please forgive me all especially u Jenna! Embarassed And believe it Mo. Pistevo!

Yep, I will. Smile

wpghi5
Moderator-Sakis' Team

Male
Aries Dog

PostSubject: Re: Art & Sketches   16th July 2007, 3:20 pm

Moldienut wrote:
wpghi5 wrote:

Yep, I will. Smile

I knew u would Mo. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
horsefeathers

Female
Libra Goat

PostSubject: Re: Art & Sketches   16th July 2007, 6:52 pm

wpghi5 wrote:
Please forgive me all especially u Jenna!

You've nothing to apologize for - the fact you commented is compliment in itself. I love you

And thanks so much, everyone! You flatter me way to much. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Malin

Female
Capricorn Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Art & Sketches   17th July 2007, 1:00 pm

wpghi5 wrote:

Jessie, sorry if I embarrassed you... I was mostly joking, really. Although pretty surprised about your "tame" response, because you're usually jumping up and down bounce when even things half as spectacular as these are posted. Laughing

You're forgiven (although there was never anything to forgive...). Wink

Back to top Go down
wpghi5
Moderator-Sakis' Team

Male
Aries Dog

PostSubject: Re: Art & Sketches   17th July 2007, 1:25 pm

Thanks Jenna I feel so much better. Kudos 2 u 2 also Mal. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Miranda

Total Posts : 566
Female
Sagittarius Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Art & Sketches   17th July 2007, 4:27 pm

Jenna, I really love your artworks! They are fantastic!!!
Thanks for posting them! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aleera

Total Posts : 1856
Female
Gemini Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Art & Sketches   17th July 2007, 10:17 pm

Wonderful work Jenna. I really like your work. The one with the Latin words would give a fantastic tatoo. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.univercidade.com.br
horsefeathers

Female
Libra Goat

PostSubject: Re: Art & Sketches   18th July 2007, 5:29 pm

Thank you, everyone! Very Happy

A few more pieces.

From December 2006. A random phoenix (as inspired by the cover of one of my journals) and a mosaic of the earth.

This was the first project of the year in Art Major.
I hate still-life. I hate looking at it, I hate drawing it. So this project bored me to tears. The fact that the thing is effing huge didn't help, either. Rolling Eyes
Oddly enough, I'm proud of the result. Razz

Work in progress. (By now, it should be noted that about 99% of what I do is a perpetual work-in-progress.)
The most this will likely amount to is a concept sketch for a larger version of the same thing, because I like the idea. Smile
The things that are written down include a bunch of quotes, poetry or scribbles that I did to fill up space. I think a little of my own writing managed to make it in there, too. Smile

A collage. Because collage is an incredibly underrated form of art. It's so much more than just cut-and-past, okay? They're tougher than you think.
I like this one. So much so, that I did a larger 16x20" version on canvas (along with two others) for my final project in Art Major. Of course, I like the larger one better, but I can't scan it or take a picture, sadly.

Moldienut

Female
Virgo Cat

PostSubject: Re: Art & Sketches   18th July 2007, 5:52 pm

BEAUTIFUL pics Jenna, thanks for showing them to us.
Even though you said that you hate doing still lives, it is still really good for a girl of your age.
It's great that you are showing what you can do here, we would like to see you trying out different techniques.
My favourite one is the Phoenix one, it kind of reminds me of Aztec drawings. The pic of the Phoenix also reminds me of a tropical bird called the quetzal which is similar in shape to your drawing but with longer tail feathers.

Here is a pic of the quetzal if you don't know what it looks like.

emilia

Total Posts : 7063
Female
Taurus Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Art & Sketches   19th July 2007, 5:06 am

You're surely talented. Beautiful sketches. Smile

Malin

Female
Capricorn Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Art & Sketches   19th July 2007, 11:44 am

All are amazing, as usual, Jenna!!!

horsefeathers wrote:

This was the first project of the year in Art Major.
I hate still-life. I hate looking at it, I hate drawing it. So this project bored me to tears. The fact that the thing is effing huge didn't help, either. Rolling Eyes
Oddly enough, I'm proud of the result. Razz

lol! I think I understand what you mean. But you have every right to be proud of the result!
horsefeathers wrote:

Work in progress. (By now, it should be noted that about 99% of what I do is a perpetual work-in-progress.)
The most this will likely amount to is a concept sketch for a larger version of the same thing, because I like the idea. Smile
I guess it's really, really hard to say "I'm finished!" when it comes to any work of art (even writing, of course). I really like this sketch, just like you do. If you do a larger version, don't forget to post it (if you can).

horsefeathers wrote:

Because collage is an incredibly underrated form of art. It's so much more than just cut-and-past, okay? They're tougher than you think.
Wow! Most collages you see are really amateur-like. But this one is gorgeous! cheers

Back to top Go down
wpghi5
Moderator-Sakis' Team

Male
Aries Dog

PostSubject: Re: Art & Sketches   19th July 2007, 8:02 pm

I totally love that first pic there Jenna. One click and one look and boy was I hooked! As if time stood still looking at that. The second pic is equally as lovely as the first. Not bad 4 someone who doesn't like still-life. The last 2 r pretty amazing as well. BRAVO! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
horsefeathers

Female
Libra Goat

PostSubject: Re: Art & Sketches   22nd July 2007, 5:40 pm

Thanks! I really appreciate all the comments you guys give. I love you Again, I hope you aren't tired of me posting all this stuff.

Moldie: I love those birds. I remember sketching them a lot when I was younger - all those lovely, long tail feathers! Smile

Malin: Hard to say 'I'm finished' ... and I'm a lazy arse. No excuses there! lol!

Libra, the Seventh Sign of the Zodiac
Harmony, Balance, Eqilibrium.
The constellation of Libra has its roots in mythology, being the scales of Astraea, the goddess of justice (she, herself, being represented by the constellation of Virgo). The sun enters Libra around the Autumn equinox, when both night and day are balanced with one another.
Libran people tend to be artistic, romantic, easy-going and idealistic, but can also be guible, indecisive and changeable.

My latest drawing, as inspired by the Zodiac, of course. Smile
I hate to sound silly, but I do kind of believe in sun signs and whatnot (a little; I don't think a person's personality or actions are dictated by it, of course). Maybe that's just because I match the characteristics of my sign very closely.

... Then again, I am the girl who reads Tarot cards, so ... Wink

wpghi5
Moderator-Sakis' Team

Male
Aries Dog

PostSubject: Re: Art & Sketches   22nd July 2007, 10:48 pm

OH ABSOLUTELY NOT JENNA! Laughing And that pic u drew it's sheer perfection.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Moldienut

Female
Virgo Cat

PostSubject: Re: Art & Sketches   23rd July 2007, 6:16 pm

LOVELY pic Jenna.
Even I can't draw that as nice as yours. Laughing

Malin