HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  

Share | 

DURESS

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
JimKehoe

Total Posts : 12
Male

PostSubject: DURESS   22nd October 2009, 7:11 pm

Hi everyone. I'm one of the writers of DURESS. I searched online and found this forum. I thought you'd all like to read this review of the film and of Sakis' excellent performance. This review is from The Austin Chronicle.

You wouldn't expect to find the Greek face of the annual Eurovision song contest turning up in a smart, stylish, and dedicatedly downbeat suspenser like “Duress”. (And if you're not from an EU-member nation, then picture all fifty United States hotly competing for a new national anthem, each with its own regional style and each one slightly more irritating that the last.) But then you probably didn't expect Greece to burst into flame earlier this year, either.

I was totally unfamiliar with Sakis Rouvas career prior to this, his first American film, but I'll give instant credulity to anybody whose IMDB profile lists them as having played themselves in something called “Hallo Deutschland” (a title I'd normally associate with, say, John Cleese). But abandon those preconceptions along with all hope, ye who enter here, and make no mistake: “Duress” is about as funny as waking up with a mouthful of spiders.

What at first appears to be simply another entry in the long-gone-dead serial killer genre turns out, in immediate hindsight, to be one of the most intelligent and intense reworkings of a preexisting filmic form in years. With a mind-blowing denouement that makes the last five minutes of “The Sixth Sense” feel like the last five minutes of “Stranger Than Paradise” and a pair of harrowing, human (and inhumanly calibrated) performances from Martin Donovan and Rouvas, “Duress” comes across like a slap to the psyche, a splash of ice-water across the soul.

Donovan is widower Richard Barnett, a man whose life has recently been skewed to the breaking point by his wife's suicide and the attendant loss of emotional connection with his young daughter Sarah (Winter). Fate, or perhaps something far worse, kicks him while he's down one night when a chance encounter with an eloquently philosophical serial killer by the name of Abner Solvie (Rouvas) leads to a series of grueling life- and death-lessons that speak not only to the chaos theory currently unfolding in Richard's heart but also, eventually, to the intractability of a universe that may not be as random as we'd like to believe.

Donovan turns in a remarkable performance as Richard; he goes from dead-eyed widower to tormented father and beyond, all within the film's ultra-tight, 76-minute running time. It's Rouvas, however, who owns this nasty little masterpiece. He plays against serial slasher stereotype and ends up ratcheting up the tension to near-unbearable levels. Abner is the metaphorical “other” as “everyman” as “fate itself”, a ghastly existential nightmare made flesh, and one who just happens to also be a handsome and chatty demon you wouldn't mind inviting to your next dinner party (so long as your were dining with sporks). Director Barker has pared his story down to the raw, red marrow. There's not an ounce of fat on Duress's lean, mean, sadomasochistic skeleton. Like its protagonist, everything else has been obliterated and sloughed off in the cold, calculating half-light of death, life, and that awful point in between where the two collide. -- Marc Savlov/The Austin Chronicle

We're all very proud of the film and we hope you go see it (many, many times!).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shazasan

Total Posts : 763
Female
Taurus Horse

PostSubject: Re: DURESS   22nd October 2009, 7:36 pm

Hi there Jim Very Happy Thank you so much for posting that review for us here, an excellent one it was and a pleasure to read! Smile

I really wish to congratulate you for being involved in the writing of this film too! I am yet to see it, but from what I have seen in the trailer and read from reviews, it sounds like an amazing production with a very exciting and compelling plotline. I can't wait to see it! Very Happy But as of yet I don't know where I will be able to see this film... do you know in which countries Duress will be shown?

I'm sure you are all very proud of this film and rightly so! Smile We're all so proud of Sakis and the part he played in this film also. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimKehoe

Male

PostSubject: Re: DURESS   22nd October 2009, 9:14 pm

Thanks for the kind words. I know that Duress is premiering at the Thessaloniki film festival in Greece in late November, but I don't know the exact date. Beyond that, I'm not sure, but I will post when I hear more information.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Disco_girl

Total Posts : 1290
Female
Aquarius Horse

PostSubject: Re: DURESS   23rd October 2009, 12:31 am

Thank you for posting this critic Jim! It's a great feeling to read good words about Sakis' work! I convince you that Rouvitsas will run to see this movie:)

Greetings!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: DURESS   23rd October 2009, 2:32 am

Thx Jim. It's pretty exciting to read about the movie and Sakis' great performance. It makes me really impatient to watch it.
Back to top Go down
ellijay

Total Posts : 7693

PostSubject: Re: DURESS   23rd October 2009, 5:08 am

Hi Jim and welcome to Sakis' International Family!!

Thankyou so much for the review from the Austin Chronicle.. Its awesome !!
JUST LIKE SAKIS !!

Its a pleasure to have you here with us.

Jxxxxxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
danari

Total Posts : 156
Female
Capricorn Rat

PostSubject: Re: DURESS   23rd October 2009, 5:49 am

Hi there !

First of all , thank you for your effort searching and finding us and posting the review!
Jim , i have many quastions o ask :
What was it like , the process of writing "Duress" ???
Have you seen the movie ???
What's your opinion of the outcome of "Duress" ???

I don't know if you're "allowed" to discuss anything related to the movie ... so if you're not , just ignore my silly quastions !
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/tundetrencsenyi
*Paraskévie*
Angel Of Sakis' Forum
Angel Of Sakis' Forum

Total Posts : 6286
Female
Cancer Cat

PostSubject: Re: DURESS   23rd October 2009, 7:56 am

Hi Jimkehoe.

I'm Paraskevie, the administrator of this forum.

You are here and thanks for post this review.

I would like to know, did "DURESS" come out in french cinemas ?
If yes, can you tell us when ?

Thanks for the answer, and for be a member of our wonderfull forum.

Peace, sex, Rock and Love. Lovesick

-15.8 kg in 245 days,
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sakis-rouvas.zikforum.com
tinkerbell_gr

Total Posts : 297
Female
Scorpio Snake

PostSubject: Re: DURESS   23rd October 2009, 8:48 am

Thank you Jim!!!!
The Thessaloniki festival will take place from 13 to 22 November....
I can't wait.....

P..S. It's too bad that this year there are so many issues with the festival......stupid laws..Pissed off lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Moldienut
Angel's helper of Sakis' Forum

Total Posts : 19567
Female
Virgo Cat

PostSubject: Re: DURESS   23rd October 2009, 10:12 am

Interesting review there Jim Kehoe, hope more positive reviews will pop up and let me know of any screenings in my country, the UK. Welcome to the forum by the way.

Total Posts : 540
Female
Aquarius Pig

PostSubject: Re: DURESS   23rd October 2009, 11:05 am

Thank you very much Jim, very interesting review.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bluebell
Moderator-Sakis' Team

Total Posts : 2867
Female
Sagittarius Dragon

PostSubject: Re: DURESS   23rd October 2009, 2:17 pm

Thanks for the review. Really interesting.

Moderator-Sakis' Team

Total Posts : 16618
Male
Aries Dog

PostSubject: Re: DURESS   23rd October 2009, 2:35 pm

Hey there Jimmy! It's always great 2 connect with someone who is associated with the movie! I'm sure it is a masterpiece and our man in it it is indeed very exciting! I'm no doubt among the few rite here in North America who happens 2 b a big fan of our man! 3 years 2 b exact! It's always great 2 hear that Sakis is being praised 4 his performance in the movie! It's also great that u found our forum here! I'm pretty sure that all of u who were involved r indeed pretty proud of the project and the results along with it! We're so excited that u had a chance 2 work of our man! I know I am! From a fan's curiosity I would like 2 know what he was he like 2 work with? What was his mood while making the film? And also do u know when it will b released here in North America? We're no doubt so proud that Sakis was a part of this! I know it must have been challenging 4 him 2 b playing a killer. But I'm sure he pulled it off just fine! Anyways welcome aboard man! Not only r we glad 2 have u here in the forum but it's always great 2 b connected with someone associated with our man! 4give me 4 the multiple bouncing similes I have in this post! But that's who I am though especially when it's involving Sakis! And here's another one: Thanks a lot man 4 posting this excellent review! I'm sure our man will certainly get even more positive reviews and hopefully it won't b 2 long 4 the world 2 know who Sakis Rouvas is!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cata
Moderator-Sakis' Team

Total Posts : 1393
Female
Capricorn Monkey

PostSubject: Re: DURESS   23rd October 2009, 3:31 pm

Thanks a lot Jim for the review! Very interesting!

Total Posts : 478
Female
Scorpio Tiger

PostSubject: Re: DURESS   23rd October 2009, 3:59 pm

This review seems promising on Sakis producing a good movie for first time out. Thanks a lot for this Jim.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mariosgirl66`

Total Posts : 63
Female
Virgo Snake

PostSubject: Re: DURESS   23rd October 2009, 9:54 pm

Hey Jim - Voicing another opinon from North America, right her in LA, would love to see the movie, can't wait!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimKehoe

Male

PostSubject: Re: DURESS   26th October 2009, 12:45 pm

Hi everyone. I don't know much about where the film will play yet, as it is in the process of being sold around the world. It will not be a wide release type of film in the U.S., but it should get a theatrical release in other parts of the world. I assume that it will be a theatrical in Greece and maybe the U.K. and other European countries.

As far as Sakis, I found him to be funny, polite and a very hard worker. He takes his acting very seriously and he is very smart. He understood exactly what I was trying to convey in the writing about his character and I was very impressed with his willingness to ask questions about the character. He is not a singer trying to be an actor - he has an actor's insight and the ability to think like the character. I expect big things from him in the future and I am very happy he decided to take on this challenging role.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wpghi5
Moderator-Sakis' Team

Male
Aries Dog

PostSubject: Re: DURESS   26th October 2009, 3:18 pm

JimKehoe wrote:
Hi everyone. I don't know much about where the film
will play yet, as it is in the process of being sold around the world.
It will not be a wide release type of film in the U.S., but it should
get a theatrical release in other parts of the world. I assume that it
will be a theatrical in Greece and maybe the U.K. and other European
countries.

I c.

JimKehoe wrote:
As far as Sakis, I found him to be funny, polite and
a very hard worker. He takes his acting very seriously and he is very
smart. He understood exactly what I was trying to convey in the writing
about his character and I was very impressed with his willingness to
ask questions about the character. He is not a singer trying to be an
actor - he has an actor's insight and the ability to think like the
character. I expect big things from him in the future and I am very
happy he decided to take on this challenging role.

Wow! Jimmy u definitely had 2 deal with somebody that keeps on impressing us his fans everytime! No doubt he certainly impressed u and the crew who worked in this film! I'm glad that not only did he decided 2 do this film but definitely pull off such a role as that of a killer! Had he started doing movies like 5 years ago I probably would never know that or even care. But I'm glad u guys decided 2 do it at a time that I just continue (and I still do) 2 embrace, luv, and adore this man so much! Especially when it's from somebody like myself and yet I'm in the same sex as Sakis! I'm sure they'll b much bigger things 4 him in the future! And who knows?! It might not b 2 long 4 the world 2 know who Sakis Rouvas is! And being a part of that would definitely b exciting!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ellijay

Total Posts : 7693

PostSubject: Re: DURESS   26th October 2009, 3:32 pm

Sakis is the ultimate professional in everything he does. We know this but its wonderful to have it confirmed by someone who has worked with him. Thankyou Jim !

Jxxxxxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wpghi5
Moderator-Sakis' Team

Male
Aries Dog

PostSubject: Re: DURESS   26th October 2009, 3:57 pm

ellijay wrote:
Sakis is the ultimate professional in everything he
does.

Indeed Jane mou!

ellijay wrote:
We know this but its wonderful to have
it confirmed by someone who has worked with him. Thankyou Jim !

U said it Jane! Thanks a lot Jim!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Fizz

Female
Scorpio Tiger

PostSubject: Re: DURESS   27th October 2009, 7:42 pm

Oh I hope it does come out in the UK for me and Moldie being Brits and all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Moldienut
Angel's helper of Sakis' Forum

Total Posts : 19567
Female
Virgo Cat

PostSubject: Re: DURESS   31st October 2009, 3:28 pm

I sssooo hope the film will come to my country at some point.

Female
Scorpio Tiger

PostSubject: Re: DURESS   31st October 2009, 4:39 pm

Same here as well buddy. Fingers crossed hey?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wpghi5
Moderator-Sakis' Team

Male
Aries Dog

PostSubject: Re: DURESS   1st November 2009, 4:11 pm

Same goes 4 Canada.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bluebell